SOUTH PARKS REVITALIZATION
Washington | Midway | Jackson
The South Parks of Washington, the Midway Plaisance, and Jackson were laid out by Frederick Law Olmsted and his partner Calvert Vaux in 1871 as one park system called “South Park” – a masterpiece of urban planning and park innovation.
In 1893, with Washington Park completed, Jackson Park and a portion of the Midway became the site of the World's Columbian Exposition where millions of visitors from around the world explored and experienced the best examples of science, industry, art, and innovation in a newly designed city environment that would influence the direction of American architecture, landscape architecture, and urban planning well into the 20th century.
Today, the South Parks are once again a place for grand vision and innovation, and an influential component of Chicago's South Side cultural renaissance and resurgence.
Recognizing the historical, cultural, economic and ecological significance of the South Parks, Project 120 Chicago, in partnership with the Chicago Park District, is leading a team of talented interdisciplinary professionals to plan, develop, and carry out improvements that respect, preserve, and renew the character of the landscape as designed by Olmsted, while addressing current and future issues and needs that will promote ecology and community vitality and livability for generations to come.
Olmsted believed that a park is both a work of art and a necessity for urban life.
One of the most significant and complex historic landscapes in the nation.
Parks and landscapes are living and ever-changing.